When you need extra space to store your belongings, renting a self-storage unit can be a convenient and affordable solution.
Like most things everything is not equal, this is evident when you are considering a self-storage facility . There are many differences that one needs to be aware of and consider.
We have created this article to help you understand your needs and the choices available, we hope it will guide you in the right direction and make your self-storage journey easier.
- Determine the size you need Before you start looking at self-storage units, take inventory of the items you plan to store. This will help you determine what size unit you need. Most self-storage facilities offer a range of unit sizes, so be sure to choose one that is large enough to accommodate your belongings without paying for space you don’t need. What type of items are you storing are they seasonal items
- Consider the location When choosing a self-storage facility, consider the location. Look for a facility that is conveniently located to your home or office to make it easy to access your belongings. Keep in mind that facilities in inner city areas may be more expensive than those in suburban or rural areas.
- Think about security measures Security is an important factor to consider when selecting a self-storage unit. Look for a facility that has security cameras, gated access, and on-site personnel to ensure your belongings are safe and secure. Ideally the facility should offer individually alarmed units.
- Choose a facility with fire prevention technology While security measures are important, it’s also essential to choose a facility that has fire prevention technology, such as sprinklers and smoke detectors. In the event of a fire, these measures can help prevent damage to your belongings.
- Compare prices and amenities When selecting a self-storage unit, it’s important to compare prices and amenities. Look for a facility that offers competitive pricing and amenities such as on site manager, drive-up units, extended access hours, drive thru and internal parking.
- Read reviews Before selecting a self-storage facility, be sure to read reviews from previous and current customers. This will provide you with insight into the facility’s customer service, cleanliness, and overall satisfaction of other customers.
- Use space calculator Many self-storage facilities offer online space calculators to help you determine the size of the unit you need based on the items you plan to store. This can be a useful tool to ensure you select a unit that is the right size for your needs.(Remember this should only be used as a guide)
- Ask about access hours Be sure to ask about access hours when selecting a self-storage unit. Some facilities may have limited access hours, which can be inconvenient if you need to access your unit outside of those hours. Look for a facility that offers extended access. Make sure these fits into your lifestyle and requirements.
- Packing supplies, be sure to select a facility that also provides packing supplies that you will need with your move or in the future as you shift through your belongings.
- Lighting, there is nothing worse than trying to go through your belongings in the dark or using your phone as a torch. A well-lit facility is always preferred.
In summary, selecting the right self-storage unit requires careful consideration of several factors. Determining the size you need, considering the location, thinking about security measures, choosing a unit with fire prevention technology, comparing prices and amenities, reading reviews, using a space calculator, and asking about access hours are all important factors to consider. By taking the time to carefully evaluate these factors, you can find a self-storage unit that meets your needs and provides you with peace of mind knowing your belongings are secure and well-maintained.